Nittany News Lehigh Valley

Get Out Review

A must see box office smash

Back to Article
Back to Article

Get Out Review

Courtesy: indiewire.com

Courtesy: indiewire.com

Courtesy: indiewire.com

Social News XYZ

Alli Poczak, Staff Writer

Get Out was an absolute thrill ride masterpiece, written and directed by Jordan Peele. Yes, you read that right. Comedian Jordan Peele, famous for his comedy skits with co-star Keegan Michael Key (a Penn State alumni), took a shot at the horror/thriller genre and completely blew everyone away. With a solid 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, and holding box office revenues of over $120 million, it has become one of the most talked about movies of this year, not to mention the audience generated “Get Out Challenge.”

So why is this movie receiving glowing reviews? First of all, the acting was impeccable, aiding in the mystery behind Rose, her family, and their relationship with Walter and Georgina. But most importantly, it is a unique storyline addressing topics like racism and social injustice in a society that doesn’t always want to address these issues openly. Peele knew this but was still nervous people were not ready for a movie about racism, causing the movie to fail. As it turns out, he had no reason to worry.

Another reason I believe the movie worked so well, was the balance of comedy added into the movie that took the serious moments and readjusted them for better audience enjoyment. This is where I think Peele excelled at making a thriller of this kind having his background in comedy. If you look at many of the successful movies today and in the past, many of them strike a perfect balance between serious and humorous: Star Wars, the Avengers, Forrest Gump, and Pulp Fiction just to name a few.

Slight spoilers beyond this point

Personally, one of my favorite things about the movie was the amount of OHH moments this movie had once everything came together. You understand why Walter was running at night, why Georgina is always fixing her hair, the significance of Rose eating her cereal separate from the milk, and my personal favorite, why Chris was chosen by the blind man! This doesn’t cover half of them, but I could go on about all the connections this movie had.

The tone of the movie really had the audience rooting for Chris. It was disturbing to see the way he was being talked to by some of the rich white people asking him about “the African American experience” as if he didn’t feel awkward enough. And when he needed a break he walks upstairs and the whole party gets quiet. This scene specifically gave me chills. Yet after all this he still puts up with the comments and strange behavior because of how much he cares for Rose. If only he had kept the keys…..

Overall, the movie was phenomenal. It was so intriguing, I decided to see it twice to see what I would notice during the movie that I may have missed the first time, now knowing what happens at the end. I’m so impressed with Peele and I can’t wait for another thriller from him!

• Get Out Review

Arts & Culture

Annual Etiquette Dinner

• Arts & Culture

Got Free Time?

• Get Out Review

Arts & Culture

Smartphones in the classroom: The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly.

• Get Out Review

Arts & Culture

Spotify vs Apple Music: What’s the Superior Streaming Service?

• Get Out Review

Arts & Culture

America for the Win!

• Get Out Review

Arts & Culture

The Music Industry Is VERY Picky About THIS Guitar

• Get Out Review

Arts & Culture

Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

• Get Out Review

Arts & Culture

Art in Nature

• Arts & Culture

Welcome FALL! Welcome ALL!

• Get Out Review

Arts & Culture

Celebrity Makeup

The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley
Get Out Review