Nittany News Lehigh Valley

The State of a Nation

How the United States of America has seemingly moved backwards in terms of equality.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The State of a Nation

Matthew Sehn, Staff Writer

In light of 9/11 just two days ago, I was given the opportunity to hear a fellow New Yorker speak of his story on where he was when the planes hit the twin towers on 8:46 that morning. His story was unlike any other I heard, as he worked in the North tower. For only the second time in his life he depicted the details of it all to us, and that is why I keep the details and his name vague, to respect him and his family. What I will share with you however, is one statement he made that truly stuck with me. “On that day, I saw the absolute worst that humanity had to offer. What I also saw was the best it could offer too. People offering water bottles and blankets, people carrying injured and the crippled to safety. The brave men and women of the NYPD and FDNY forming a human chain to lead us to safety. Most importantly, we were no longer black, white, or Muslim. We were simply human.”

His last statement opened my eyes as to why I am so open minded and accepting of all the different people around me. I was very young when the planes hit thus most of the memories I have are ones that were told to me by my mother and father. New Yorkers that day set aside their differences, and saw each other for what we are at the core; human beings. Among the aftermath of the attacks, this mentality continued and caused my sponge of a young mind to absorb it all. Block parties with families of all different races and creeds simply enjoying life and eating various foods was a beautiful sight to behold to say the least, leading me to build genuine bonds with people so different than me; still visiting one of my best friends Caleb whenever I get the chance; his mother always waiting for me with a hug and Tupperware packed full of arroz con pollo. If one thing was learned from all of this, it was respect for other people so long as they respected me. The current presence of groups such as Black Lives Matter (BLM), Antifa, and the KKK clearly depict a vastly different way then when I grew. In no way I am comparing these groups, simply wanting to make the point that the existence of them indicates that something is wrong. As a kid I was taught the history of the civil rights movement, and what an impact members like Martin Luther King Jr. had to change the world for the better. It satisfied me, because the story had seemingly a happy ending. Blacks had been given full rights and equality, and even women had too. Slowly peace and love were overpowering the hate. To see these issues in the press and news media again sickens me, because I realize that earlier happy ending is not true. People today are more divided and selfish than ever, filled with anger and fighting anyone that disagrees with there viewpoints, instead of talking about their differences and learning from each other, something I had done as a child. I cannot pinpoint one reasonĀ why we are moving backwards, but it is painful to watch it happen. The only thing you and I can do is try to change the world one step at a time by being the best people we can be to those around us.

• Opinion

An Act of Authority: Consumer Power

• Arts & Culture

Got Free Time?

• The State of a Nation

News

Jobs & Tattoos

• The State of a Nation

Campus Life

Getting Involved

• The State of a Nation

Arts & Culture

Smartphones in the classroom: The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly.

• The State of a Nation

Opinion

Should You Marry Your Best friend?

• The State of a Nation

Opinion

The FBI Stalks Me

• The State of a Nation

Arts & Culture

Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

• Opinion

The Story of Her

• The State of a Nation

Opinion

We Need Help…

The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley
The State of a Nation