The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley

Nittany News Lehigh Valley

Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

Local Subway suddenly closes down.

Justin Gallagher, Staff Writter

You all know the famous slogan created by the ever so well-known American fast food restaurant chain: “Subway, Eat Fresh”. The commercial jingle that seems to play endlessly on our televisions at home, along with other public screens around the world. You couldn’t get away from it, could you? Well, now that all has seemed to change in an instant.

During common hour at Penn State Lehigh Valley, students will branch off to multiple different places; some go home, some stay on campus, some go find a place to eat lunch. I, along with several other students, take a quick drive to the Promenade Shops, located on the other side of Center Valley Parkway (Route 2044). The Promenade has several restaurants such as Pandini’s Pizza, Starbucks, Yogo Factory, Cosi, Melt, Red Robin, and Subway. On September 13, 2017, I took part in my new routine ever since I started here at PSULV. At 12pm, I walked out to my car, drove to the Promenade, and parked in the back parking lot. Driving past the Subway, I noticed a large, navy blue SUV parked outside of the restaurant. Men and women were loading boxes into the SUV, but I didn’t think anything of it, so I continued scanning the parking lot looking for an open space. Walking up to the door, I saw this…

Interestingly enough, our local Subway may have been giving us hints and warnings that business just wasn’t booming anymore. How? Well, those who went there frequently for common hour may have noticed that — at the beginning of the school year —  there were plenty of employees behind the large counter; one created the bulk of the sandwiches, another toasted and/or added the last few condiments, and the last manned the cash register. However, as the weeks went on at PSULV, it seems that so did the employees at Subway. On September 6, I noticed that the only employee left for the entirety of the day was the manager himself; a middle-aged male, running an entire fast food chain restaurant. Seemingly enough, but as expected, it was too much for him to handle and they closed down for good.

If I could rewind back in time, I would’ve asked him “what happened?”. It’s truly incredible how quickly things will change in a blink of an eye. One day, students’ “go-to-restaurant” is supposedly running a smooth business, and then the next, it’s gone forever.

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

News

When Will This Problem Stop In The Lehigh Valley?

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

News

New from Google

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

News

Autonomous Vehicles and Their Upcoming Role in Society

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

Campus Life

Geographical Illiteracy in Penn State

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

Campus Life

Promenade Loses Second Lunch Spot

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

News

A Dog’s World at Colonial Kennels

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

News

Keeping Our Eyes on the Skies

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

News

Have You Updated Your iPhone?

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

News

Invasive Species Alert!

• Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?

News

Hurricanes, Hurricanes, Hurricanes!

Subway: Eat Not So Fresh Anymore?