The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley

Nittany News Lehigh Valley

We Need Help…

Talking about suicide can save lives.

Courtesy of The Blue Gallery

Courtesy of The Blue Gallery

Devon Strawdinger, Staff Writer

In life, we have our ups and our downs. You need to be there to help pick your friends, family, or coworker up when they hit that down. Suicide is an issue and the numbers are rising in the United States with more than 44,000 people a year passing away. The biggest issue of it all is that we can notice the signs and save a life very easily. The only thing you need to do is ask a friend or family member how they are doing. If you find someone that seems a little too stressed out with everything that is happening in their life and you just ask how they are doing, you might just save their life. A lot of the time the person will try to deny it and give you a fake smile, but if you know something is wrong don’t let them go. Invite them over for dinner or go and do something fun with them. Showing interest in someone could be what gets them open up and be honest with you about how they are feeling. Just know that there is always something that you can do to help save a life. Its usually the small things that add up to a big change in a person.

I asked a couple of friends to give me their thoughts on the subject, both of which wanted to stay anonymous.

“So I know there are people in the military that have gone through a lot; deployments, divorce, or financial issues that can put them in a pretty low place. I think the easiest way to tell if someone might be suicidal is if they are the happiest person in the room. The happiest people on the outside seem to suffer the most on the inside.”

“It’s a social concern for sure. It’s the third leading cause of death in teens and the second in people our age 20-30. Suicide attempts and successes have been steadily increasing, not only in America but in a variety of developed countries around the world.”

If you think that you need to know more on suicide prevention, click here and you can find common symptoms, statistics, and help if you need it.

• We Need Help…

Opinion

The FBI Stalks Me

• We Need Help…

Arts & Culture

Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

• Opinion

The Story of Her

• We Need Help…

Opinion

Not Even Queso Can Bring Back Chipotle

• Arts & Culture

Welcome FALL! Welcome ALL!

• We Need Help…

Opinion

The State of a Nation

• Opinion

Pro-life v. Pro-choice

• We Need Help…

Opinion

The Value of a College Degree

• We Need Help…

Opinion

Natural Cure – Just One Walk Away

• We Need Help…

Opinion

What’s Next for Apple?

We Need Help…