The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley

Nittany News Lehigh Valley

THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Penn State THON held its final canning fundraiser.

Student+Volunteers+Canning+Outside+Hotel+Bethlehem.%0A%0APhoto+courtesy+of+Amber+Cambell%2F+PSULV+
Student Volunteers Canning Outside Hotel Bethlehem.

Photo courtesy of Amber Cambell/ PSULV

Student Volunteers Canning Outside Hotel Bethlehem. Photo courtesy of Amber Cambell/ PSULV

Courtesy of Amber Campbell

Courtesy of Amber Campbell

Matthew Young, Staff Writer

This past weekend marked the official start to Penn State THON fundraisers. For those who don’t know, THON is the largest philanthropy, run by students, in the world which raises money to help families diagnosed with pediatric cancer. Last year THON raised over $10 million and in total they have raised $147,000,000 since the first THON in 1973.

Every year since 1977, to help raise money, THON held official canning weekends. Canning is when student volunteers from every Penn State campus go out to different locations all over Pennsylvania and raise donations from people in their area. Here in the Lehigh Valley, some locations that students canned at were: The Hotel Bethlehem, and the Dunkin’ Donuts on Hamilton, Emmaus Ave, and on Nazareth Road. Canning started on Friday, September 22nd and concluded on Sunday, September 24th. The official amount raised from this weekend has not yet been revealed, but it was a great experience for the volunteers and they are always happy to give their time to raise money for this great cause.

When asked why he cans every year for THON, Penn State senior Aaron Young said, “I do it for a family friend whose son has cancer. It’s very fulfilling to see how all the canners and THON volunteers come together for a such a great cause.”┬áThis shows how the students volunteering their time are very selfless and generous, and whether they are helping someone they know personally or just helping the general cause, they are very happy to do it.

This weekend did mark the end of canning though, as past injuries, including the death of a student, resulted in major safety concerns. Although this was the first and final weekend, there are still many other events that THON holds to raise money and if you would like to check those out please visit their calendar of events. Also, if you would like to donate to THON please visit the official THON website.

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

Fun Fall Activities in the Valley

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

The Start of a New Club?

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

Geographical Illiteracy in Penn State

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

Merrymead Farm

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

Blue and White Society Annual Bash

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

What is THON?

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

History Making Soccer Team

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

Dodgeball Competition FTK

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

Promenade Loses Second Lunch Spot

• THON Holds Final Canning Weekend

Campus Life

The Stress Factor

THON Holds Final Canning Weekend