The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley

Nittany News Lehigh Valley

The Story of Her

Overcoming a life of obstacles, one mother proves her resilience.

Ana Costa Alvarez, Staff Writer

1977

A baby was born by the name of Fabiola, and she was born in the middle of the worst economic year for her country, she became the second youngest whose mouth have to be fed and soon clothed along with her older sister Vivienne. In 1979 another child was born, a baby boy by the name of Bruno. They lived with four aunts and four uncles inside of a two bedroom home. Due to the worst economic year in their country, they lost land and space to build other houses and because of that they relied on help from other people outside the family.

In 1989, once Fabiola turned twelve, her mother Marta had her fourth child; the economy was still very poorly managed in their country so within three months after the baby was born, the other family members gave the baby up for adoption without Fabiola’s mother knowing. Right after, Marta became depressed. Without her newborn around, she stopped eating, bathing and forgetting how to show affection to her other children. On July 24th, 1990, Marta committed suicide. Soon after the death of Fabiola’s mother, the family started to kick out Marta’s children. The oldest child, named Vivienne was eighteen and left to live with her boyfriend who soon became her husband. She took the youngest child Bruno, with her. Fabiola didn’t have a choice but to leave everything behind and live elsewhere.

Fabiola learned how to be an adult at 12 years old, and faced many challenges after her mom’s passing. In 1983 she lived with friends and tried to keep up with school but with no money, she had to learn how to work and be independent. Still suffering and dealing with the death of her mom she would often try to ask to go back home but her aunts and uncles wouldn’t let her.

In 1996, she started to build her own business with friends, as a hairstylist and gained enough money to be financially stable. After years of many struggles, Fabiola had built her own family…her friends, after all this time she still considers them family.

In 1998, Fabiola had a daughter and without any knowledge of how to be a mother she once again had to learn something she didn’t know, just like she had to learn how to be an adult when she was 12/13 years old.

Today I get to call Fabiola my mother. She taught me that the greatest of all struggles shows who you really are just by how you handle it. My mother is not a sad women, she brings her experiences with her and teaches others how you should embrace them.

The Story of Her