Having Trouble Finding Ways to Study?

Some helpful tips can ease your stress.

Student Studying Sleeping on Books, Tired Girl Read Book, Library

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Rachel Kehm, Staff Writer

If you’re struggling to find ways to study that will actually help you, here are some tips on how to stay focused and retain information:

1. Plan out when you’re going to study and stick to it.
    Setting a time aside specifically for studying is very important. If you don’t set aside time you may forget about it or won’t have enough time to go over all the information you need to. Getting a planner can help you schedule out this time.
  2. Study somewhere with no distractions.
    If you are studying in your living room with your siblings in the room and the TV on it can be hard to focus. Go somewhere that you can focus and not easily be distracted. You can study in your room, a library, the Learning Center or in a student lounge.
  3. Take notes in class.
    If you take detailed notes in class it makes it so much easier to go over the information. You can color code your notes to make it more organized and easier to understand. Having detailed notes is important because you can find out what you don’t understand easier and be able to ask questions.
  4. Go over materials more than just the night before the test.
    If you only go over the information the night before the test it can be difficult to remember all the information. Also if you don’t study at least a couple days before the test than you won’t know what you don’t understand and won’t be able to ask questions before. If you wait till the last minute it can also cause you to stress out and panic.
  5. Make sure you are comfortable and have eaten before you start studying.
    When I’m studying I know I don’t like to be in uncomfortable clothes. I like being able to wear a sweatshirt. Also if you’re hungry when you’re studying you’ll most likely stop to get something to eat and end up taking way too long of a break. If you eat before then you’ll be full and ready to start studying.

“I found that for me to stay focused on what I’m trying to study, I need to be in the library or alone in my room. There can be a lot of distractions other places. College can be difficult at first, but if you set aside time to study you won’t stress yourself out too much,” said Emily, a senior at University Park.

Every student is different. Find something helpful that works for you!