The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley

Nittany News Lehigh Valley

Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Is hate taking over our world? Or will love conquer all? An analysis and application of Morris' song.

Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

Credit: Maren Morris

Brittany Chapman, Staff Writer

Three years ago, Maren Morris wrote a song titled “Dear Hate”. Although she has had the song recorded with Vince Gill for over a year, she never believed previously that there was a good time to release the song. And she continues to believe that there will never be a right time to release it. Hate is everywhere. Hate does not discriminate.

In the first verse of the song, the lyric states “Dear Hate, I saw you on the news today.” This a complete parallel to our lives. Within the past few months, there have been many acts of violence, hate, committed all across the world. Every morning when we open our eyes, a new headline is flashing across the screen, whether it be the television, cellphone, or computer. The most recent being the mass shooting in Las Vegas. Sure, some of the people who commit these acts of violence can have no ulterior motive behind them, but many of the motives would be considered as hate.

As mentioned a few times throughout the song, the world continues to spin round and round, no matter what happens. Time will continue to pull forward, and people will continue to age. If we let the pain get to us, we will be left behind in a world that continues on. No matter how bad things continue to get, we must persevere. In most times of trouble is when people begin to unite. Although a harsh reality, the truth hurts. During the shooting in Las Vegas, people came together to help the victims who had been shot. Another example of unity in tragedy is the recent hurricanes. Although they were no act of violence, unless Mother Nature was angry, people came together and stood united as one, helping each-other until no one was left behind.

The last few lines of the chorus in Morris’ song says: “You whisper down through history and echo through these halls. But I hate to tell you, love’s gonna conquer all.” Morris personifies hate. In the song, she ‘tells hate’ about how no matter what happens, time will continue to pass, and although hate is continued to be passed around, love will conquer all.

• Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

Spotify vs Apple Music: What’s the Superior Streaming Service?

• Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

America for the Win!

• Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

The Music Industry Is VERY Picky About THIS Guitar

• Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

Art in Nature

• Arts & Culture

Welcome FALL! Welcome ALL!

• Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

Celebrity Makeup

• Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

Music Review of Taylor Swift’s “Look What You Made Me Do”

• Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

The Best Day For Music

• Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

Curse by Red Clover

• Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

A love letter to Barcelona

Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original