Autonomous Vehicles and Their Upcoming Role in Society

Vehicles are receiving more and more autonomous features that have helped reduce accidents.

Back to Article
Back to Article

A picture of one of Google's self driving cars

CJ Semet, Staff Writer

New features in cars have reduced the number of automobile accidents that occur on the road. These features include forward collision warnings and even automatic breaking to avoid front end collisions all together. With these new features being more and more common, a question is becoming very prevalent – when will cars be able to drive themselves? Though Google has announced that their autonomous car project will be done by 2021, many eyes lie on big car companies such as BMW and VW to actually produce the cars that will be seen in public.

Penn State Lehigh Valley student Soma Asad has some concerns regarding these cars, which include the possible dependency of humans and the trustworthiness of the technology. She does feel these autonomous cars could be helpful in reducing drunk driving.

Although the common thought is that these cars will be dangerous or inconsistent, it is important to point out that “more than 90 percent of road crashes involve human error” according to The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. MIT, or Massachusetts Institute of Technology, also reviewed self driving cars and believe that these cars are still very far away from becoming the norm.

Although Google announced its goal of 2021, it may still be a long time before you get picked up by a cab without a driver in it or have an autonomous car of your own.