Nittany News Lehigh Valley

Spotify vs Apple Music: What’s the Superior Streaming Service?

A Comparison Between The Two Largest Music Streaming Services

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtesy of Global Music Tribune

Courtesy of Global Music Tribune

Courtesy of Global Music Tribune

Chad Davis, Staff Writer

One of the few things nearly all humans share is a love for music.  From rap and jazz to country and pop, there is a seemingly endless number of genres to appreciate.  Yet, there is a much more limited number of options for how to listen to music.  While buying music is one way to listen to your favorite songs wherever you want; it quickly becomes expensive.  For example, one of my favorite albums “2014 Forest Hills Drive” by J.Cole costs $10 on iTunes.  Newer or larger albums can reach the $15 mark.  It is the high prices on music that has led to the rise of streaming services.  Spotify introduced a game changing service in 2008 by offering a near limitless selection of songs for free with ads.  Its premium service allows ad-free and offline streaming, along with the recent offer of a Hulu membership included in the $9.99 price per month.  Spotify’s success led other similar streaming services to rise, and often, fall.  One competitor is closing in on Spotify, and may overtake the Swedish originated service: Apple Music.  It is no surprise that the company dominating most aspects of technology would create their own music streaming service, and some consider it superior.  Which of the two is truly the best way to stream music?

Prices

Both services offer the monthly price of $9.99 for their service, and both now offer a $14.99 family plan.  Apple shines with its $99 annual offer, which saves about twenty dollars a year.  This adds up and allows Apple to secure users for an entire year; a win-win for Apple Music and its users.  However, Spotify’s greatest advantage over Apple Music is the free option.  Many listeners, especially students, are fine with watching a few ads every thirty minutes in exchange for free music.  Ares Vega said, “Spotify is a fast service for music and podcast streaming without a paid membership.  Its features for free make it better than Apple Music.”  With price, it depends on whether or not you want to pay for music or not.

What do you get 

Apple has two large selling points over Spotify: iTunes and exclusives.  While Spotify was established before Apple Music, iTunes preceded both.  It has developed a massive number of songs; approx. 40 million and counting and it is all included in the monthly payment.  The other advantage is its exclusive releases.  Some albums only are available on Apple Music, or are released early through the service.  This makes Apple Music a better option for music lovers who want to hear their favorite artists albums as soon as they are available.  Spotify’s offer of free Hulu with premium is a powerful response; offering both television and music streaming for a price that users were already paying.  Each service has advantages over the other.  The decision as to which offer is better depends on one’s preference: TV and music, or more music.

The Winner?

The choice of streaming is highly dependent on how important music is to you.  People who listen to a lot of music probably would prefer Apple Music.  They would be disappointed by the free option, and would get the most music for their money through Apple.  However, Spotify has offers such as free subscriptions and Hulu with premium that are very appealing to a casual listener.  Digital Trends compares the two in every area and decides on a winner.  Apple Music and Spotify are both great products, and both have loyal users.  Dante Requena says, “Apple Music is fine, but free access to tons of music is more appealing.”  In agreement with both Digital Trends and Dante, I find that Spotify is still the superior streaming service, primarily due to its free option.

• Spotify vs Apple Music: What’s the Superior Streaming Service?

Arts & Culture

Annual Etiquette Dinner

• Arts & Culture

Got Free Time?

Arts & Culture

Smartphones in the classroom: The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly.

Arts & Culture

America for the Win!

Arts & Culture

The Music Industry Is VERY Picky About THIS Guitar

Arts & Culture

Dear Hate.. A Maren Morris Original

Arts & Culture

Art in Nature

• Arts & Culture

Welcome FALL! Welcome ALL!

Arts & Culture

Celebrity Makeup

Arts & Culture

Music Review of Taylor Swift’s “Look What You Made Me Do”

The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley