End of Semester Stress: Ways to Power Through

Sierra Mamay, Writer

Week 12 is coming to an end, which means that there’s only one more week till Thanksgiving break, and then just two short (or possibly the longest) weeks left in the fall semester. Once that week-long break at the end of November comes to a close, coming back for those last two weeks of classes might feel like the hardest thing in the world. Final exams, final papers, final projects; it’s going to be a stressful and overwhelming fourteen days. Powering through might seem impossible, but once day fourteen comes around, a nice month-long break will be there waiting for us. But until then, here are some ways to deal with the “that point in the semester” stress. 

First, don’t cram. Start projects, papers, and studying before those last two weeks. Let’s be honest, no one wants to do anything over Thanksgiving, but picking up some homework might be just the thing to keep those procrastination and cram-related freak outs to a minimum. 

Second, take breaks. If you’re someone who’s going to wait until the last minute (like most of us), take breaks and pace yourself. Go for a walk, grab some food, take a nap; do anything to take your mind away from all the work for a little while. 

Most importantly, focus on you, don’t run yourself into the ground. Get through the end of the semester the right way, as smoothly and simply as possible. And if you’re really struggling, don’t hesitate to reach out to the counseling services offered here. Take advantage of them, that’s what they’re here for! The Counseling Center is open 9AM – 4PM Monday through Thursday, so stop in and see Tammy with any questions you may have. Stress and anxiety are normal things to experience during this time in the semester, but it doesn’t have to take over. If you feel like you’re spiraling out of control, just breathe, and use any of these tips I’ve mentioned. I’ll leave you with wise words from my mom, “You got this!”