Nittany News Lehigh Valley

5 interview tips no one tells you

Back to Article
Back to Article

5 interview tips no one tells you

Internship Interview Picture

Internship Interview Picture

Internship Interview Picture

Internship Interview Picture

Naseeba Saeed, Staff Writer

1. Don’t be afraid to be different. I know you’re probably a little intimidated, but the quirky things about your personality are going to make you memorable. You shouldn’t pretend to be someone you’re not just to get a job because you are going to be working with these people every day so your true colors will show. Embrace your individuality and allow yourself to be who are. With that being said, don’t mistake this as an excuse to be unprofessional. Being different doesn’t mean you should show up wearing sweatpants. Just don’t let intimidation force you to suppress the things that make you who you are.
    2. Business professional doesn’t mean boring. I don’t know what it is, but for some reason when I wear a suit I feel like I have to be serious. I’m the type of person who says silly things, and likes to smile a lot, but as soon as I’m wearing a suit I feel like there is no time for fun. I understand that this is a professional environment, but realize that employers aren’t hiring robots. If they wanted a robot, they wouldn’t spend the time to invite you in for an interview. An interview should be a conversation, not an interrogation. You didn’t commit a crime so don’t feel like you’re on the stand.
    3. Remember that they are people too. The people interviewing you have been in your shoes, they understand if you’re nervous. They have hopes, fears, and dreams too. They are just people that are doing their job looking for the best candidate for the position. They aren’t there to intimidate you or cause you any stress. In fact, they just want to get to know who you are and what you have done that would make you the right candidate for the job. Don’t stress yourself out because you’re worried you might mess up. Even if they ask you difficult questions, they are just trying to get to the core of who you are as a person. It’s still just a conversation between two people.  
    4. Don’t tell them who you are, show them who you are. The majority of communication is nonverbal, and odds are if they called you in for an interview they know you’re qualified. They want to see your personality, and if you fit in with their company. The world is filled with smart, qualified people that no one likes, so focus on being a positive, kind person. These people will have to see your face all the time if they hire you so they want to know that they can get along with you. How you say something matters just as much as what you say. They want proof that you are who you say you are.
    5. Be kind to yourself. Even if you are the most qualified candidate, you might make a mistake, and you just have to learn to forgive yourself. You are human, and you should treat yourself like one because you can’t be perfect all the time. Accept any mistakes you make as learning lessons, and no matter what the outcome of the interview is remember to be kind to yourself. You deserve the forgiveness you give so easily to others.

• Campus Life

Agriculture Career Fair

• 5 interview tips no one tells you

Career Services

Don’t know your major yet? Don’t fret, you still have time to decide.

• 5 interview tips no one tells you

Career Services

Opportunity Knocks Once

• 5 interview tips no one tells you

Campus Life

5 public speaking tips no one ever told me

• 5 interview tips no one tells you

Campus Life

Survival of the fittest

• 5 interview tips no one tells you

Career Services

My internship at Weyerbacher

• Opinion

An Act of Authority: Consumer Power

• 5 interview tips no one tells you

Campus Life

Etiquette and an Exquisite Meal

• 5 interview tips no one tells you

Arts & Culture

Annual Etiquette Dinner

• 5 interview tips no one tells you

Campus Life

Have Nothing To Do During Common Hour? Try One Of These Things!

The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley
5 interview tips no one tells you