Nittany News Lehigh Valley

Split Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Split Review

Split took viewers on an journey into the life of a man's and his 23 personalities.

Courtesy: IMDb

Courtesy: IMDb

Courtesy: IMDb

Alli Poczak, Staff Writer

Split tells the story of a man, played by James McAvoy, living with 23 different personalities, and the lives of three girls who he kidnaps. As the film progresses, the audience learns more about the man’s internal battle with his multiple personality relating to how each personality is different, aware of the others, and in some cases in disagreement with them. Co-star Anya Taylor-Joy, who plays Casey Cooke one of the kidnapped girls, has a side story of her own playing out during the film.

The audience becomes drawn into the mysterious lives that are all occurring at once through one man with the lingering question, “What is he going to do with these girls?” When you finally get the answer it is incredibly frightening. Typical of any M. Night Shyamalan film, the audience was given clues to piece together the story for themselves bit by bit. As a fan of horror, I have seen more than a few Shyamalan films and they can be hit or miss. I believe this is one of the better ones. The eeriness and unknowingness truly categorizes the movie as “suspense” and keeps the audience on the edge of their seats.

(Slight) SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT

Personally, I love a movie that makes connections and allows the audience to think and theorize before a final reveal at the end and this movie really did that. It was shocking to see how the final and most dangerously terrifying personality was created. The story of Casey was also heartbreaking yet her struggles are what eventually saved her, making the audience wonder if her past was preparation and in a strange sense worth it, as it eventually saved her life.

Also typical of Shyamalan, an end surprise connecting Split to one of Shyamalan’s older films. Could this mean an Unbreakable sequel? A Split sequel? A movie with a touch of both? Sadly we’ll have to wait for Shyamalan to tell us.

• Arts & Culture

Got Free Time?

• Split Review

Film

Annapolis Film Festival: A Film Student’s Experience

• Split Review

Arts & Culture

Get Out Review

• Split Review

Film

Great songs not nominated for an Oscar

• Split Review

Film

La La Land Review

• Opinion

An Act of Authority: Consumer Power

• Split Review

Campus Life

Etiquette and an Exquisite Meal

• Split Review

Arts & Culture

Annual Etiquette Dinner

• Split Review

Campus Life

Have Nothing To Do During Common Hour? Try One Of These Things!

• Arts & Culture

Got Free Time?

The Student News Site of Penn State Lehigh Valley
Split Review